Sunday 12 August 2012

The beginning

So… another baking blog, huh? Does the Internet really need that? Maybe, maybe not. I don’t even think anyone will read this. The thing is just – I have been baking so much and for a while I had some real hits… but for the life of me, I cannot remember the recipes. So I figured, better start writing it down. For my own reference. And some friends have been asking me for recipes – especially for my macaron secret (it’s no secret. It’s no magic. It really just is pure… luck? Persistance? But we’ll come to that) (and I don't even get them right half the time!).


No one likes long boring intros, so just the quick facts: I started my baking obsession in the exam term of my final bachelor year in Cambridge, simply out of procrastination. Instead of revising, I looked at what I termed “baking ****” (huh, will the use of that word now get me Google hits for “****”..?)*. Instead of studying, I looked at pages of bakeries, baking blogs, baking decoration tutorials… After some months of just looking, I started baking myself. Mostly at night though, when I couldn’t sleep (cos, during the day I had to “write exams”). This continued into my Master’s year. Whenever my old friend insomnia visited me, I turned to the kitchen. I’m sure my grad friends remember my facebook posts of “hey kids. I baked. Help yourself to cookies/caramel cupcakes/self-made Baumkuchen/caramel layer cake with buttercream ruffles in the 5th floor kitchen”… I have pictures to prove it:



Caramel cake with a layer of vanilla buttercream and chocolate-caramel buttercream frosting
Caramel cake with a layer of vanilla buttercream and chocolate-caramel buttercream frosting

Caramel-cinnamon cupcakes
Caramel-cinnamon cupcakes

German Baumkuchen
German Baumkuchen

So. From now on I’ll start documenting my kitchen adventures. It won’t be that regularly, cos, you know, I have a job and all. But then again, who reads this anyways? Probably not even my best friends ;)


PS: I have to mention three blogs here, which all together got me baking: The Cupcake Project, Not Quite Nigella and Bakerella. I followed The Cupcake Project almost from the beginning on and it’s still my go-to blog for recipes (loved the project, love the blog, love the recipes). Not Quite Nigella - I love her recipes for nibbles (her toffee is my go-to hostess gift) and she writes in such a cute way. And you just gotta love looking at Bakerella’s creations – not that I could ever do something like that. I tried. I failed.

*I had written a word that begins with "p" and rhymes with "horn". A week later it turns out that, yes, writing this will get me visitors from explicit websites. Funny at first, bwildering and unsettling at second, I decided to delete that word here.

4 comments:

  1. omg Korlin! ich bin über facebook auf dein blog gekommen, also nicht dass ich nach "p-horn" gegoogled hätte oder ähnliches xD

    aber das ist ja mal sowas von cool! werde definitiv das ein oder andere mal ausprobieren :)

    lg Juky

    p.s. stay tuned !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww gosh thank you so much for the sweet shout out! You are such a talented baker and your cakes look very scrumptious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. NQN: I'm so flattered that I got a comment from you - I was so excited when I saw it, I literally jumped up and down! Thank you :)
    It's just a shame I haven't been able to bake much lately since I'm moving flats and have been ill for a few days.
    Once the move is completed, I'll be more productive and this blog will be a tad more interesting!

    ReplyDelete